Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Can you survive a haunted house?

This doesn't get my goat. This is just something really, really cool.

When I was a kid, my favourite board game was Haunted House by Toltoys. Seriously, my brother and I must have played this hundreds of times. Hundreds! If you're too young to have played it or simply just unlucky, Haunted House was just the most awesome game in history. The idea was that you had to move your character through a haunted house. That was it.

If you think that's a pretty retarded idea for a game, you'd probably be right if it weren't for the fact that the board was a three-dimensional haunted house with awesome death traps everywhere! Every now and then you had to drop a full-on steel marble down the chimney and it could land anywhere, causing a huge broom to sweep you off your feet, move a secret wall panel that would flip you across the room, tip from a bucket on to your head, or cause ricketty floorboards to send you flying through the air. See that picture of the floorplan? There's only about 50 or 60 spots on it, but with all the death-traps going off about once a minute the game could take hours to play! Oh, and did I mention you could get turned into a mouse? It was simply the awesomest board game in the world.

I don't know what happened to my game of Haunted House. It probably just fell completely apart from being played too much. Where did I get the pictures for this entry then? Well, while I was idling away at work today, I stumbled on this site. It's a site dedicated completely to Haunted House! Honestly, this dude sell spare parts for a board game that came out in 1971!

Isn't the Internet wonderful?






No comments:

Post a Comment